Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, or EMHCs for short, assist the priest or bishop in distributing Holy Communion during the celebration of the Eucharist. These “extraordinary ministers” receive specialized training and instruction to ensure that they know what to do with the precious body and blood of Christ in every situation. EMHCs can choose to serve in a variety of ways: at Mass on Sundays, in nearby hospitals, or at individuals’ homes or residential facilities. Keep scrolling to learn more about each.
Requirements to volunteer in this ministry include:
- At least 16 years of age
- Fully initiated into the Catholic Church
- Faithful and practicing Catholic
- Manifest a love and reverence for, and devotion to, the Holy Eucharist
- Receive the Sacrament of Penance regularly
- Regularly available to perform the ministry